Thoughts, observations, etc. on playing The Orange Box for the Xbox 360:
- Every time Dr. Eli Vance talked, I shouted out “Benson!” and began singing the Benson theme to myself. Then I’d think, “Man, they should’ve gotten Auberjoobiedoobiedoobie to do Dr. Kleiner’s voice. Or maybe Dr. Magnusson.”
- The airboat stage in HL2 is, as Jeremy Parish of GameSpite noted, “distilled anti-fun.” And it seemed to go on for eleventy-billion hours, too. Gawd.
- And while I’m at it, the dune buggy driving stage (“Highway 17”) was a bit of a snoozer for me, too. I was honestly wondering at one point why they didn’t merely call the game “Gordon Freeman’s Road Trip.” Because up until you get to Nova Prospekt, you pretty much spent most of the game traveling in a vehicle of some sort.
- On the other hand, I loved driving the beat-up Charger in HL: Episode 2. Probably because it was a Charger.
- I never could get Half-Life: Blue Shift to work on my PC, so I was wondering who the hell Barney was when he first introduced himself. Now that I know who he is, I still don’t care.
- I was hoping I’d be able to play as “the Alyx Vance” at some point. Alas.
- I kept wanting to call Gordon Freeman “Morgan Freeman.” Just think: if Andy and Red had the HEV suit with them at Shawshank, they wouldn’t have needed to wait three decades to get out.
In addition, I also received Mass Effect for Christmas, and thoroughly enjoyed it. On top of that I spent a good chunk of December playing and beating Assassin’s Creed. I don’t think I’ve gorged on games this much in quite some time. It’s been fun, definitely. 🙂